Trucking Carrier Warnings

Truck driver training is an industry to make a profit off people who know nothing about trucking. The target >>> those who can get a guaranteed student loan, qualify for financing, or acquire some sort of government assistance work program like a workforce investment act voucher (WIA). Aptitude for becoming a qualified driver and suitability for living the lifestyle of an “Over the Road” truck driver in the long term is really not a focus. This is why each individual should understand the truck driver student industry before they enter it. Truck Carrier Warnings should be the first step you take to research where you will complete you CDL training to become a qualified truck driver.

Many people you will meet in student carriers are not made aware that they would be expected to drive 11 hours a day and that the pay in comparison to hours worked calculates out at less than minimum wage. Entry level truck driving students are often stunned to learn that truck drivers do a great deal of unpaid labor that is not logged according to FMCSA regulations and contrary to what they were taught at CDL school. This causes immediate conflict for some qualified candidates who do not understand “how it works” when you are only getting paid when the wheels are turning and not for all of the other daily responsibilities you will have as a long-haul truck driver.

Most student truck drivers are required to begin as OTR (over the road) drivers. This puts a great strain on families when the pay they expected falls short and their home-time requests are ignored, or they simply cannot afford to take any home-time due to the low pay. Some truck driver training carriers maximize their profits by exploiting student truckers who work for much lower wages. They do this by having student run “team miles” during training and as part of their training. “Team driving” when you have entered trucking as a single person can be very dangerous to both genders. You are basically living with a person of unknown origins. Often the carrier has a weak support system to manage the daily tribulations that occur in these student team carriers. The result is very high turnover, loss of potential talent in a broken training system. Training carriers that also have associated a lease owner-operator program are also to be aware of. These are generally one-sided contracts designed to have the student essentially paying the carrier to work for them. The carrier controls the miles dispatched and the drivers make just enough to cover the truck payment and little else. These situations are only going to add stress to your training. They are huge contributors to the high turnover of first year truck drivers and could be easily avoided with a little research before committing to a training carrier.

There are some entry-level driver training carriers who work hard to develop deceptive practices in order to get the most out of ill-informed job seekers that are entering trucking. These are the type of carriers that are setting you up to fail from day one and you should avoid them if possible. If you have already committed yourself to one of these carriers make sure you understand the tricks they play so you can beat the odds and go on to a better carrier once you have enough experience. It is not advised to company hop in your early months of training.

Click the following links of carrier names to get an idea of some of the current complaints made by recent job seekers who thought trucking was a road to employment for them:

CR England

CRST Van Expedited

New Prime, Inc

You should understand that these are often the same complaints about the same carriers made by different people year after year. They are not isolated complaints by a few disgruntled employees. There is a pattern and practice by some carriers that generates student turnover for a constant stream of new low wage drivers. This is a profit strategy.

Covenant Transport
**Team driving may work well for a married couple but if you are a single person in a carrier that has primarily team miles you are painting yourself into a corner. Carriers who use the “team model” like CRST and Covenant Transport give few options to complete training in a safe environment. Team driving for multiple months or being pressured into becoming a trainer before you are fully prepared is dangerous for you, your student and the motoring public. Don’t put yourself in a carrier who will eventually place you in a situation where you have to choose making enough money to survive, over safety.

Please Google any carrier you plan to commit yourself to for truck driver training followed by the word “complaints”. For Instance: GOOGLE: “CR England Complaints” and read how carriers you are considering, treat student truckers. These are people who came into the industry hoping for a new chance at life but found nothing but rip-offs.

Always look at the date of the complaints for current issues and evaluate the complaints and criticisms. It is not unlike a carrier to pose as a regular person launching a critical attack on anyone who writes poor reviews about them on the internet. By the same token, there are drivers who complain about every little thing and are difficult to please. Evaluate the “anonymous” attacks and recognize that some paranoid carriers and organizations DO engage in online bullying tactics on the internet. Use this conduct as a snapshot of an internal level of professionalism, consider it as the way you will be treated as a driver employed by them. There are carriers who value drivers but it takes time to find the right fit for you and they may not advertise.

Rule of Thumb: The more you see the recruiting ads, the more you should be suspicious.

Other things to take into consideration are carriers who are “dumbing down” student truck drivers by teaching them electronic logs without teaching them how to do a paper log for a backup or teaching them only to drive an automatic truck, not a manual transmission. This will handicap your future as a truck driver.

Suggestion: Skip over any training carrier who is not teaching you how to think without technology.

Carriers on this list are: US Xpress and Werner

Central Refrigerated, CRST Van Expedited, CR England all have recent allegations of trainers, supervisors, “lead seat” or co-drivers making unwanted sexual advances and/or sexual misconduct toward female trainees.

Research carefully before choosing your training carrier so that you don’t end up with a useless CDL. This is what happens to many student truckers who enter the trucking industry with the best intentions.

If you have current information about bad trucking carriers and poor training carriers to help warn others please post on this page. Another good place to look up carrier warnings is on the truckers report.

Please stick to the details and do not use foul language toward others.

Our Mission is to help others make better choices in truck driver training so that they will not be ripped off or harmed physically from the unprofessional training carriers that have created an industry of student truckers.

This article was written by: TruckerDesiree

Desiree Wood is a divorced Mother of 2 grown Children and has 6 Grandchildren. She began writing about her experiences as a single female entering trucking in 2008 on the “Ask the Trucker” blog, called “A Day in the Life of a Lady Trucker“. It became the basis of four Dan Rather Investigative reports into truck driver training. She has been quoted in the “Wall Street Journal”, appears in a Workplace Bullying Documentary segment about the trucking industry , and she and her Dog @TruckinDogKarma are featured in the Documentary about Twitter called “Twittamentary“. She is active in social media networks ,known as @TruckerDesiree

1. 80 Comments

• Charlene Mangan says:

Hi i am a follower of your website i love to read all the trucking stories because my husband drives truck and trailer and i tell people to quit cutting people who drive truck they cant stop on a dime, so i tell them to slow it down don’t cut them off they can’t stop on a dime you know…anyways..i love your website, and then again i tell them their is not enough information about the trucking industry, to tell people about you truckers and what you load what you do, and how important it is to stay away far away don’t just cut the truckers off, they must stress this bigtime…Charlene Mangan

• Yvonne says:

Actually, I’m doing alot of research on trucking schools as I want to change my career to trucking. I am a woman and I’ve heard alot of horror stories out there especially against CR England. They have approved me to go to school but I would like a school with a better reputation. One who cares about their students and gender should not matter. I want a good education and want to travel. Can anyone guide me to the right school for a woman who will get good training and not a ton on sexual harrassment. I m use to the harrassment because I’m a woman but I want to be able to concentrate on learning and being the best trucker I can be. I grew up in a houe full of men. 2 brothers and 5 uncles. I am a tomboy and want to have a traveling job……….Thanks

• realwomen says:

Stay away from CR England if at all possible. Look for a community college CDL Program, you can still get tuition funding for this. Your hiring area makes a difference on any carrier suggestion. Call our wednesday conference or call me at 385 232 4258

• Danielle says:

I m a woman and live in new orleans, could you also recommed a driving school in my area, as there is no driving program @ my local commuinity college.

• realwomen says:

I really do not know what schools to reccommend in your area. The best I can tell you is stay away from Roadmaster is possible because they charge way too mucb for what you can get much cheaper. The CDL school is really only going to give you very basic skills to go on to a training carrier where you will do your actual training. Any place you choose either CDL school or training carrier you should look up their names for complaints to see if others were ripped off by them.

• Emily Girard says:

Can you help me by offering ideas for schooling in the south metro Atlanta Georgia Area that you would recommend for obtaining my CDL license? Thank you in advance, and thank you for publishing some of the most useful information that i have read so far for new entries into the trucking industry for women!

• Check out West Georgia Technical College. It’s not in South Metro Atlanta but it’s close. Here is the link> West Georgia Technical College You can download a schedule and call them for more information. There are several technical colleges and community colleges that offer CDL training in Georgia but most of the ones I saw in Atlanta metro I would not recommend. One gal suggested looking at Great Southern Driving Academy in Tunnel Hill. Hope that helps.

• Lynn Dyson says:

The states unemployment department is paying for my training now i am shopping for a good employer. Try and see if you can get funding an alternative way.

• realwomen says:

That a good way to get your tuition paid for if you are eligible. Just choose wisely for your CDL training and Training Carrier. We did a blog talk radio program a few weeks back called “Qualified CDL Training”” with some recent students and they offered some valuable information about a couple of good training carriers. H.O Wolding and Halvorlines. Here is a link where you can replay that show on your computer http://www.blogtalkradio.com/womentruckersnetwork

Good Luck in your training and join us sometime in our weekly conferences and let us know how you are doing!

• Deborah B says:

So , even if I went and paid for training somewhere you still have to start somewhere in the beginning and being in Wa state there are not a lot of choices , I need experience and for us to be able to drive together , so are you saying I shouldn’t drive with him or train to get my CDL, I have been in corp America for way to long and I want something different , this April , may I’m am going on a run with him to see if its something I really want to pursue , how did you get your traing done . So are there no good companies that train you for a CDL…

• realwomen says:

You should definately drive with him about 2 weeks or more. At least a month and realize you will be in sleeper when he is driving and one of you will be driving the night shift. Maybe he prefers the night shift and maybe he doesn’t but his life will change once you begin driving and you need to estimate the profitability based on what noth of you are will to give and not give. Can you sleep on a moving truck? Can he? After you decide some of the living and working issues I would look into investing in the CDL school and proceed from that point.

• Elizabeth Cohen says:

Stevens Transport in Dallas, TX. They have the BEST training program in the industry. Super anal about safety and strong program against sexual harassment. Yes, the training program is about 10 weeks long, but if you read the recent article written by OOIDA, this is the training program the leaders of the industry aspire to.

• Are you a driver? I know Stevens Transport has a better reputation than many but saying they are the BEST is very broad. OOIDA is also not a training carrier advocate for students. There is too much money in commissions being paid out to promote one carrier or another. That is why I asked if you are a driver and if you have completed training as an anonymous nobody at Stevens Transport. Those are they only qualified spokespersons in my experience.

• Elizabeth Cohen says:

Yes, I drove for Stevens for two and a half years. I loved it and was extremely happy there. I left because my husband/codriver got off the road and I did not want to drive alone.

• Vera Judge says:

Hey there. I’ve been a driver since 2005. I went to the Schneider Truck driving school, but I see they no longer have a school. They reimburse you for your school after you’ve received training. I highly recommend Schneider for training after you get your CDL. I went out on the road with a trainer after the classroom and after I received my CDL. He was professional, courteous and thorough. I have driven in every state in the contiguous US (I did this within one year of driving with Schneider) and I was prepared for every type of weather condition and terrain. I know that everyone’s experience is different. People are different. But I also believe that if you handle yourself as a professional, with self respect and dignity, it will come back to you. There is a great saying that, paraphrased, says this: You cannot control how people treat you, but you can control how you react. As women we are subjected to attention we don’t want a lot of times. Keep your head up, be professional at every turn and report what is unprofessional.

• Thank you Vera, I am aware that Schneider National has better training than many other carriers and higher standards to recruit. Of course Schneider national previously employed S. Ellen Voie who has actually assisted in covering up and downplaying incidents that women have reported since she has founded WIT so the advice to report unprofessional behavior should not stop there. Both Men and Women in executive positions are equally guilty for allowing a climate where co-worker drivers treat one another in an unprofessional manner. This conduct and climate trickles down and unfortunately truck driver training carriers are some of the worst because of the volume of new students they recruit.

• Anna says:

Hi, I am Anna form Lithuania (Capital – Vilnius) , I am 35 years old. Focusing on the dream to travel America in 2014. Reading lot’s webs on geting info. Uf.. so mach negative info for women. You are a first person I am writing. Cud you give me respond and opinion is worth to try, do you knouw so info about international drivers? Or you cud link me to some webs?
        hope you on road, got your dream.. sorry, i cant write good in English, but I am started my training on truck driving in Lithuania 4 month ago and have dream to come to JAV for a travel trips with loud. Just to see country, get fju $. Is so sad to read sexual exploitation of women at educational institutions. I am having a good man teacher. Is only fju women in Lithuanian history is having draiving license. I am proud of my self that I started, to dare to dream, and made steps on…
        That’s incredible.. I love road.. panoramas and the field of vision of a lorry.., wonderful!
        Cud you please give me respond? Your opinion and same info i cud link in to?

Anna
        Facebook
        Ona Bartkeviciute
        or facebook
        Amatu miestas / Craft city

• Hello Anna,

I believe anything is possible but with that being said you must realize there is a great deal of hostility in the United States against people coming from other countries to take American jobs and especially so in trucking where this job is portrayed as a vacation rather than a lifestyle that requires a 24 hour commitment and personal sacrifice for often months at a time with very little recognition. I know before the economy crashed in 2008 there was open and active recruitment of people from other countries to come to America and “see the country” by becoming a truck driver to fill jobs that the trucking industry claims are to help fill a crisis of qualified drivers but this has gone underground since. Are you seeing this type of recruiting ads in Lithuania? If so, would you share with me the ads source? You see, American truck drivers do not believe there is a driver shortage, they believe the only shortage is of people willing to work in unsafe working conditions for a wage too low to live outside of the truck which is why many trucking outfits have been called “sweatshops on wheels”. I also understand that the cost of living in other countries is not like that of the United States and this is not a factor for new immigrants which is why this may be very attractive to them without realizing the poor safety training and the exploitation of people that are turned over each year by the trucking industry. This may not be the answer you are seeking and I am not sure the programs available to you as a visiting worker. I truly would appreciate it though if you would share with me any recruitment advertising for American Trucking Jobs that you have seen in your country if you have them. Our direct email is realwomenintrucking@gmail.com Thank You, Desiree Wood

• Debbie says:

Hi,
      I am in my last week of school should have my Class A CDL by mid Dec. I am researching alot of companies I am located in Seattle WA that I can transfer into as a student. So far all I am seeing is Swift. There are a few others but much of the research I have done tells me to stay away from them. Does anyone know of any other options?

Thanks,
      Debbie

Hi Debbie:

I will email you privately but wanted to respond here also. Sadly, there is no one training carrier that is a perfect situation but a few names with better reputations are Schneider National and ROEHL. Despite that many complaints about Swift with regards to poor and unsafe training I have had very few complaints about trainers pressuring female students for sex. You will have to be diligent to document EVERYTHING yourself so that if you get into a situation you can defend yourself. Most all training carriers handle students as expendable and unimportant, yet they are always claiming to be desperate to hire them. You really have to fight to be treated with any sort of dignity and this goes for both male and female students. That being said you should be respectful of your trainer because this is a very hard job. They are literally risking their lives to train you so unless they are asking you to do something that violates you sexually or that is illegal you should understand they are trying to teach you something about the trucking lifestyle that will help you later. You may call me on my cell, (760-975-6868 or 385-232-4258) it is the fastest way to get a response. You may also call our weekly phone conference for support and advice. Our wednesday conference begins a Noon eastern 805 399 1000 access code 560199#.

Thanks,
        Desiree

• Steve D says:

You certainly hit the nail on the head about how these mega companies exploit student drivers. The other part of this puzzle that I would like to understand is the trucking insurance industry’s cozy relationship with these abusive companies. I have 7 years of OTR experience and an absolutely clean driving record. No accidents of any kind, no moving traffic violations of any kind. I am professional in appearance and conduct and have excellent communication skills. Dream driver, right? No. My driving experience was from 1995-2002. In 2002 my wife and I were called to do mission work for our church in eastern Europe. Now I am back looking for a driving job and every single company I look at or talk to says you must have at least one year of experience in the last 3 because, “our insurance requires it”. When I ask them what I need to do to get back to work they all say the same thing, go work for Swift or CR England for a year. So my hunch is the insurance companies have made it impossible for smaller regional companies to hire drivers without recent experience thus forcing them to go work for the meatgrinder companies whose business plan is based on driver turnover. The fact is if you have driven for several years you do not lose your skills even if you are away for 10 years. Sure, you need to practice your shifting and backing a bit to get the old touch back, but we all know that safety is as much about attitude and mentality as it is about skills. Any insights into the relationship between insurance companies and the meatgrinder companies like Swift and CR England?

• realwomen says:

“meatgrinder” is an accurate word. The insurance issue is something I hear about frequently. The “meatgrinder” carriers CR England, Covenant Transport, Werner, US Xpress, and others in this catagory to my knowledge have their own insurance companies.

This why they can take someone with no skill off the street and put them in charge of an 18 wheeler in just a few weeks running real freight, sometimes team driving with someone who has just a bit more skill than the newbie. In my opinion they are playing russian roulette with the general public.

Think about it,
        The Tractor and Trailer are insured, the freight is insured.
        These mega carriers with the help of the ATA and general complacency of the public have created an indentured servitude operation called “The Qualified Truck Driver Shortage” but they are not looking for qualifed drivers, they are looking for ill informed drivers.

CR England is the kingpin of this mess and carry lots of clout in addition to ruining many lives with there lease program and other unethical business practices.

I would like to see an investigation to unravel how they funnel all potential drivers into these unethical carriers , it will take many individuals speaking on what is happening.

• Flatbed Lady says:

England doesn’t have to worry about the insurance aspect…they run their own insurance company to cover it. That’s why they can take on these numerous newbie drivers without worry of the insurance repercussions. I don’t regret leaving England one bit.

• realwomen says:

You bring up a good point! The fact that these mega carriers that train students have their own insurance companies allows them to take the risk but what is funny is that they push people out on the roads with such little skills and there are plenty of crashes of student carrier fleet trucks. I wonder if this is just another way they make money because they certainly engage in a whole lot of unethical practices.

Thanks for the comment!

• C.Turner says:

Hi seen your clips on you tube getting back with a comp out of St Louis MO safety is #1 with them and waiting for nonsmoker trainer ha male or female at this point hauled hogs for indie for almost a year, worked with guys a lot frist time out years back went with comp out ark and was teamed with an dipshit and 2 weeks off the truck b4 i lost my cdl. Ladies dont take bullcrap hang tight and best of luck go with god.

• realwomen says:

Thanks for the comment! Good Luck on the new carrier! I hope they turn out to be what they appear to be. That seems to be a little tricky.

Here is a link to our new internet radio program too. It is the 1st trucking radio program hosted by women truckers. You can listen online or call the phone number to listen on your hands free devive.

Women Truckers Network Blog Talk Radio

• C.Turner says:

well went out been with the company for 2 months feel like they want me to fail or leave but i wont to strong. but will find another driving job back to livestock least they walk on and off. Its been hard and my truck has no bunk heat have to work my way to better truck. that was from femail dispatch. Hanging there Cat

• Sue says:

This is what happened to me at USA Truck back in 2001 got my cdl at a local school was given a great start learned everthing about a truck how to shift and back, logs, the owner was a xdriver for Mc Donalds.
      Went to USA Truck via greyhound got there stay for 3 day company ort, then another greyhound ride to meet my trainer in Northern La, a male, frist red flag was when his woman came and took him on 6 hour play date, drunk as a skunk tells me He can’t drive you have ok where are we going I ask Ohio he says I drive to Northen Al, the rest of the night he gets up and Takes over at about 9 am next day,2nd red flag all the sex talk given I know now, 3rd red flag talking on phone with the woman while driving no blue tooth at this time, 4 red flag driving down the freeway coasting to Qualcomm,5th and final flag wreck outside of Chattanogga Tn, where he was in the bunk talking to woman, car hit into my steer tire and I kept calm and pushed it 200″ down the road the state cop told me to get into driver seat to drive when leaving even when I was still shaken was not my fault for wreck no tickets my way. So thank you X Mcdonalds driver that helped me, I still use what I learned Cowgirl up and let the herd run to the water. Learn by my mistakes. Sue

Hi Sue:

Thanks for the overview of your training story. This helps to let new drivers searching for info understand that it is really a crapshoot to get a good trainer at any carrier so when you find someone knowledgable you should soak up any wisdom they are willing to share like a sponge. You might need it in a pinch sooner than you think.

This week on our new “Blog Talk Radio” program we will be talking to 3 recent female trucking students about their experiences. I hope you will check it out. This is the first trucking radio program hosted by women truckers and we are always looking for good topic ideas and feedback.

Here is the link. You can either listen to online or call the number and listen on your hands free device. Here is a link:

Women Trucker Network Blog Talk Radio

• Sue says:

Us gals have to band together there are what 200 thousand of us out there right, Keep shiftn and stay between the lines I’ll be listen when I upgrade to smart phone I’ll dial in. Sue

• To anyone wanting to drive a semi. C.Y.A. Cover your A- -! Is a #1 priority. I had a pocket tape recorder and never had a single predicament that couldn’t be proved when there was a problem! Boy was the company ticked off at first but it saved them from a lawsuit! Remember it works BOTH ways!

• Deborah B says:

Hello, I have been also wanting to go to school and get my CDL and there are so many choices out there , and since my husband is currently a truck driver we thought we would go as a team , but he would need to switch companies , because I want him to be my trainer and I was accepted by Prime , CRST , CR England and I’m in Spokane . Wa and I’m not sure who to go with, any suggestions would be greatly appreicaited

Hi Deborah:

All three of those choices are very bad. Any carrier would love to have a team. I guess what yu are saying is your husband would have to leave his current employer to become a trainer at a new employer in order to train you. This is a dream come true for a carrier that relies on unethical business practices for their bottom line.

Prime and CR England and CRST press their unethical lease programs on drivers and are known to with hold miles toward the end of the lease to make it nearly impossible to be successful in their programs. They will accept just about anyone because they make money on the ill informed so do not take it as a compliment to be accepted by them.

We did a recent blog talk radio program with recent students of CRST and CR England that you can hear what their experiences were , plus get a few qualified tips on making better choices in your research.

You can listen to the replay with this link:

Radio Replay: Qualified CDL Training?

Truck Driver Training can break you financially if you are not well informed regardless of your husbands experience. Please proceed with caution.

Good Luck!

• Deb says:

Getting ready to enter a community college CDL program,I’m paying out of my own pocket to avoid being owned after I get out. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far here. My question would be, what companies try to pair women trainees w/ women trainers? Surely they have to be out there,maybe you could ask any female drivers for names of companies that try to do this,or even female trainers that are only looking to train female students…I personally don’t want to deal with trying to learn to drive and bunch of nonsense…I just want to learn to drive a truck & make a living,you know?! Any female drivers out there willing to train a 53 yr old,clean record all around that is serious about learning to drive,I’ll be out of school towards the end of May!!

Hi Deb:

A gal in our group named Tracy Tuttle is a trainer at USA Truck. If you want to contact her directly you can email us at realwomenintrucking@gmail.com I also suggest you look at their website first and call them to make sure what they ar offering is agreeable to you. USA Truck We also did a recent blog talk radio program called “Qualified CDL Training?” with some female students who gave some great ideas on good training carriers.

There are not a lot of good female trainers so you may have to wait for one to become available.

You may join our weekly conference to ask more quations as you have them. We post the times on our Facebook page called “Real Women Truckers

Thanks for posting!

• Julie Amos says:

Hello,
          I’m thinking of going to a trucking school at the community college in Kingman Az. I will pay for this out of pocket and I was wondering if Tracy Tuttle is still a trainer at USA trucking. I would like to be trained by a female trainer for the some reasons Deb had a year ago. Thanks Julie

• HI Julie, Unfortunately, Tracy no longer trains students. We have had many students in the past year go to Schneider National though and have very decent training so perhaps you should give them a ring. You are also welcome to become a student member and become part of our “Members Only” Facebook group where you can make contact with Tracy who can guide you in a virtual atmosphere regardless of where you choose to go for your finishing school training. Hope that helps! Desiree

• Deborah B says:

To all you great ladies out there, can some one answer me about the amount of money your making , not the amount but I just want to know if its worth it financially , I am still trying to decide how to get my CDL and I am still going on a three week run with my husband , and then maybe I will find the answers I need, your radio show is helping me as well so thank you .

• Shannon P says:

As a female Professional Driver, with a Class A -CDL, There are good companies out there, but I strongly suggest that if you want to learn to drive a truck, go to your community college that has a course. Apply for whatever grants and programs that can pay for it for you. Pell, and state grants are out there for you to use.
      Then apply to a company that has a good to better reputation in employing women. If you know someone that is currently driving, ask them to take you on as a rider and then hire on with their company, if you like the way they handle things.

• deb says:

Anyone have any opinions on YRC,their program and training? I’ve been researching some companies and really like what I read on the website but there’s nothing like getting some opinions from drivers that are out there everyday. Seems to be women driver friendly? Anyone know how difficult to get on with them? I start CDL school this Mon. 4/8/13 with Metropolitan Community College in KCMO,hoping living in KC will help in my job search,lot of truck hubs here.

• realwomen says:

YRC has been having financial difficulties. I would look into this company more before I made a commitment to them. Your CDL training will last several months and you should try to remain at the same place at least 1 year so your resume looks stable. I do not know about YRC training but I have seen they have had some other issues in pst years you should consider.

Good Luck!

• kathy says:

I can’t afford to get a community college cdl course – can you suggest a few good companies who actually train students?

• You can apply for a pell grant for CDL school training and also go to the unemployment office to ask about a WIA voucher (workforce investment act) to pay for cdl school. When you go to a carrier that has an all inclusive training you obbligate yourself to them to work off tuition. If they are a bad carrier and you have to quit you still owe the tuition so you must be careful if this is what you choose. You might look at USA Truck and Swift if you feel this is your only alternative but you should google any cdl school training and truck driver training carrier names followed by the word “complaints” to see what others have experienced.There are LOTS of scams in truck driver training and misleading recruiting claims about pay,hometime etc. Good Luck!

• Celeste says:

Hi Real women,
      I’m very new to this. In fact just looking in to the option of long haul as a career for myself since college landed me with a desk job I hate for the past few years and long haul has always been my secret “if you could be anything” job.
      There’s a few training schools here in Sacramento that take cash for a six week program and send students out with a trainer. That sounds great, but I wonder who would hire me after that or if I would even feel right driving after just a training course through the temperate climates of the southwest ( which seems to be where they go).
      I’ve seen quite a few ads online recently for companies who will train/hire. As nice as they sound, those seem to be the ones to watch out for.
      My question I guess is which really could be the better option? Are any of the free training schools legit? Pay for training and try and get a job or get free training and try and go with another company ASAP.
      I’ve heard a bit about the industry being up right now and companies hiring women drives who tend to be safer.
      Any advice for me?
      Thanks!

• Hi Celeste,

The first thing you should know is that student truckers both male & female are a business in themselves. Therefore you are being sold school which can be financed in a high interest non-dis-chargeable load and you MUST understand what that means. You longevity is of no consequence because entry level trucking is about luring people in to an industry to make money for tuition, cheap labor in exchange for tuition, and/or tricking people into lease truck programs where they are barely earning enough to pay the payments for the equipment and maintenance. The student trucker industry is about confusion and getting you in deep debt. Please read the post called “Truck Carrier Warnings” first and foremost which is on this site. If you decide to go to a training carrier that has in-house training and they are awful you are stuck with them, tied to them. Thi is why it may be better to get your CDL through a school first and then choose a training carrier. In California there are limited carriers who will hire you except for some of the VERY bad ones so you really need to research every CDL school and carrier you consider for complaints before you commit to them. Look for a CDL school given from a community college first, try to stay away from Road-master type operations who are charging WAY TOO MUCH for the very basic skills they are teaching. Interview potential training carriers first before choosing the CDL school so that you know what they are looking for in a canidate and also understand that CDL schools will present recruiters to you who will give conditional job offers but they are not the only carriers available to you, they only select a few carriers to have access to you that they get the best commission from to feed you to them and they may not be the best choice carrier for you. This is not anything to enter lightly. Good Luck!

• Tonya says:

I just got sent home from J B S Carriers Greeley, Colorado.. August, 2013.. the first 3 days are supposed to be orientation.. THEN we get a trainer/personal mentor out on the road that same week, Thurs- Sat. Once at the hotel.. evening.. we are up at 4 am..to be at orientation ..picked up by the shuttle 5:-5:30am.. off to orientation.. which starts like 6:30- 7:00am. We walk into the orientation room.. we sit down. A first contact, Allen (a JBS big shot), walks up to the front..and says almost word for word AND MORE.. WELCOME TO JBS CARRIERS. (He pulls up a light up screen and shows us that we will be taking a road test..etc) LET ME TELL YOU RIGHT NOW. YOU WILL DO WHAT I SAY OR ELSE. YOU’RE GOING STRAIGHT HOME, NO ANDS IFS OR BUTS.. THIS IS NOT A GAME.. WE ARE A PROFESSIONAL COMPANY AND WE’RE GONNA KEEP IT THAT WAY. SO WE EX[ECT THIS OR THAT!! (what a moron) And i know for a fact that others felt the chilling hand attitude vibes from that man coz i talked with them after we were let go, back at the hotel.. 5 of us were sent home! like we were cattle having NO WORTH.. So after he freaked us out half to death..its the drug test, physical and a bunch of other stuff.. then we are called by name, 3 at a time, to go to the back of the company, to do an UNEXPECTED ALLY DOCK test, a maneuver I never was even taught at the driving school.. but lets NOT blame my school.. you know why? My feet were shaking outta my shoes the moment we went to ally dock in the back..that man that tested us.. the attitude, the intimidating spirit, the NO-PRAISE behavior that was seen that day, totally messed up any confidentiality one could even begin to muster up..first of all, the five of us were NEWBIES to the trucking industry.. and I, as well as the other new ones also, had not driven a truck since about a week..before arrival.. so following the 1st FAILED ALLY DOCK by myself and the other 2 I was with.. we were told we get one more chance in the afternoon.. we are THEN taken for a road test..and by sheer nervousness by what we just experienced and failed at previously.. 123.. WE ALL FAILED THE ROAD TEST too (also screamed at like little children)..in the afternoon..it was ALLY DOCK TEST AND ROAD TEST REPEAT all over again..boom 123 FAIL AGAIN… after that.. 100% GOODBYE.. BACK to hotel.. 2 chances only.. you cant do it YOURE GONE… no praises no good.. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TO WORK FOR JBS TYRANTS.. ever!!

• Thanks for the comment. Have you been able to find an alternative carrier to train you? It seems odd that they recruit from a CDL school that they must know does not teach this skill properly in the short few weeks they handle students. This is why we try to warn people of all the scams in CDL training. I would like to know if you are able to find a training carrier and resume your training after this incident. Please keep in touch. Our direct email is realwomenintrucking@gmail.com and we are on Facebook “Real Women Truckers” we wish you luck in this journey, it’s unfortunately not managed by very many professionals who treat other with mutual respect. DW

• Tonya says:

yes actually..i just got home last night.. i went back to my school and they are goin to let me come back tomorrow and train for some ally docking and more on the road driving for the rest of this week, and they’ve helped me get into (Edited by RWIT)..and i talked to the guy from (Edited) this morning and he said that they wont do any tests until we’ve completed the full orientation with them along with 240 more hours of driving..at least… i did a good cry when i got sent back to the hotel :)) .. packed up my things from greeley, and came back home.. today i feel hopeful.. i forget that theres more than one company out there and theres got to be ONE that will treat us good.. and if i would have stayed at the first company, their terminal was an hour and half drive away, and (Edited…) so in the long run… im thinkin i just might have a better deal! ima fighter 😛 ..but i know what respect is also! thanks for the support!!

• well I truly hope you will keep us posted on your progress. we are here if you need to talk. my cell is 561 232 9170 , sometimes it just helps to have someone to call to find out what is normal and what is not. Hang tough!…Desiree

• TonyaToo says:

I am so sorry you went through that situation. That person is no longer with the company and after we had found out about things like that were happening, there were a lot of changes made. Once again my apologies to you.

• Diana says:

As a JBS shareholder, I’m glad to see that unlike much of the industry, we’re holding up high standards. Trust me, someday you’ll have to back into some hole even worse than that alley backing test.

That said, JBS should be communicating better, and the manager’s tone was uncalled for. JBS needs to let applicants know that they need more preparation than the average CDL mill will give them. Hope the hotel bill and other expenses were covered by JBS, and I hope you don’t give up.

• I appreciate the post. I agree that its a good thing that a training carrier expects more from the prospective candidates but they must also be familiar with level of training this CDL school is providing & should place greater demands on them as well before accepting their students in my opinion. The lack of professional conduct is inexcusable but unfortunately common with regards to trucking personnel who deal with entry level drivers. They are a dime a dozen and treated as such by many carriers which is not a very good face for the organization. again, thanks for the comment.

• Tonya says:

yes ..JBS did cover the bills, but more than anything, it crushed NOT ONLY 5 of our Newbie spirits, new to the industry, but others before us..we heard of several before us, who suffered the same with Jbs… and i didnt say what i did to bash the JBS Carrier company, but to let people be aware..so that they don’t get their spirits up, then go thru what we did… thats all. I just feel it should have been dealt with in a much more kindly manner, than making us feel like failures, and such negativity… NEWBIES need that extra patient support.. but these days alotta businesses put their company #1..
      Not the newbies.. part of life, sadly. I say these things respectfully.

• Jim J. says:

I’m willing to bet JBS just isnt very good at figuring how many new drivers they will need at any time. Its cheeper to run off the ones they dont need before they get too far into orientation. I ran a small company that was near a large one that did the same thing. They would call every few weeks and offer to drop some new drivers off in our lot. It was always the same story.

• That is very sad that people are treated like cattle in this way by carriers. Can you imagine if you were told to report to a new company for a job you having dreaming about only to have the person who is doing your orientation dump you like that? Shove you off to a place you never even applied? That’s just really unbelievably disgusting to me.

• Tonya says:

gmornin ALL… I just wanna say thank you for the support..its been a tough month for me..not only gettin’ thru trucking school, but i lost my son, 19 years old, lance corporal, in the USMC..( I was not able to see him for 13 years).. at the same time, I have gained a grandson..first grandbaby ..from my daughter..22 yrs..
      the HIGHS and LOWS of life, seem almost unbearable sometimes..
      I WILL just choose to SMILE…
      when I think theres nothing left to live for, and want to give up, they say thats the time MOST NOT TO give up, coz that’s when the RAINBOW is prolly just around the corner.. :))
      so my chin is UPPPP…

• alison morris says:

So very sorry to hear about your son Tonya. Life is like a merry-go round, up and down and round and round we go but remember to keep reaching for that brass ring.

• I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
      this post was great. I don’t know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger
      if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

• dwanna singh says:

Greetings everyone, I am happy to find this information. My husband will soon be driving for a small Indian owner. My husband is from India, and he trust what this guy is telling him. I met my husband in Iraq. I petitioned for him to come to the US. He drove Trucks on the Military Base for 5 years. Here’s my question.. do you think .35 cent is okay for starting out? I live in VA, and he would be driving California, Texas, and come home maybe twice a week. This guy has new trucks and trailers, plus a program for him to lease to buy. The only thing I don’t like. He only pay 1099. Would this job be good as a stepping stone, or should he look at a different company. Right now his English is not that good, but he do understands it. Thanks for your input.

• Hello Dwanna,

I apologize for not responding to you earlier. No I do not think this is a good deal. If your husband is am employee he should not be paid on a 1099. This is already a red flag that this employer exploits drivers. .35 cpm is a decent wage if you are an employee driver but if you are a 1099 driver you are going to have to pay the employment taxes out of that wage at the end of the year that this employer is supposed to be paying them. Next issue is getting home twice a week. This is also unlikely especially if you are driving to California and Texas from Virginia. It takes a solo driver at least 4-5 days to get across the country, even on a team truck it takes at least 2.5 to 3 days one way. The next thing you should be aware of is that carriers exploit drivers who are immigrants and have poor english because they know they can. It is very important for you and your husband to stay away from a lease program until he gets some good American trucking experience under his belt and get the lay of the land. There are too many scams in trucking and regulations that if your husband gets in the habit of breaking now it will make him unhireable in the future at any other qualified carrier. There is a rather large east Indian trucking population in central California, if you wish to stay within your community perhaps you should do more research on carriers that go coast to coast from Stockton, French Camp California areas. I wish you good luck! Desiree

• Shelley says:

As an unusually fit 61 yr. old, divorced woman unable to find work in my usual career field (advertising/marketing) and sick of the corporate jungle anyway, reading the information on this site is really opening my eyes to the pitfalls a new driver can gallop into. I feel fortunate to have friends who are owner-operators will to teach me to drive, one interested forming a team. Thanks to this site, I am positive I don’t want to attend some spin-dry school, even on the Fed’s money, let alone sign on to one of those big companies that exploit beginners. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences, positive and negative.

• Hello Shelley,

I appreciate your comment and I would like for you to keep something in mind. This industry has created an environment in which new entrants are STEERED into training carriers who are able to self-insure. While your O/O friends may be able to help you learn improved skills that you would not get from a CDL mills or training carrier, it is unlikely that they can get you insured to drive LEGAL on their truck therefore this experience DOES NOT make you qualified in the eyes of the industry in the present trucking climate. I have come to meet many women who thought they could enter trucking in the manner you have suggested and found two things. That team driving was a very bad situation for them because it can frightening AND that they are now not hireable by any qualified carriers because they are relatively new to the industry and cannot prove they went through “the system”. I have touched on this briefly in this video called “How to Choose CDL Training by @TruckerDesiree” I hope it helps you understand this dilemma better. Good Luck! Desiree

• S. Nis says:

Thank you for this blog/website. 56 years old and looking into trucking. Any comments on Western Truck School in Portland OR or IITR in OR? You have opened my eyes!!!

• I am glad you are doing some research on the topic before you jump in. Here is a post from the “Trucker’s Report” blog about things to look for in a CDL School. and I video I recently made about things you should know about choosing one. Here is the link> “How to Choose CDL Training by @TruckerDesiree ” I am not personally familiar with the particular school you mentioned. You will need to look into them further. There is quite a bit you need to know to proceed wisely but you are the only one who can make the decisions that are best for your situation. Good Luck and do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. Thanks, Desiree

• Brenda Palmer says:

Hi there, I know the post I’m replying to is from 2013, but I just wanted to tell you that Western Pacific seems to be a very good company. Years ago the state of Washington put my late husband through school with Western Pacific. In fact in 99 when he went through they were even taught on doubles in addition to a 53′ trailer. He was well prepared, with a Class A CDL when he was hired by Schneider National later that year. He became an OTR trainer with them, and was doing in house training for them at the time of his death in May ’11. He and a gal from his class at Western drove as a team for their first six months at Schneider.
          And while no trucking company is perfect, I would recommend both Western Pacific and Schneider National. They treat all their drivers male and female well.

• Thank You Brenda, We always likes to hear advice from others and also ask those who use the information to research for any current complaints as well as positive reviews just in case anything has changed in the past few years. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and hope this will help someone on the west coast begin their search for the right place to start their training.

Cheers,
            Desiree

• S. Nis says:

Thankx Desiree! Your great! Wish me luck… Stuff going into storage this spring and I’m outta here! Thankx for all your wisdom!

• Treida says:

I got my cdl through CR England in 2009. They had two phase training. One month with a drive trainer, two months with an owner operator to learn the business. My first trainer was amazing. He was happily married with 2 kids. He taught me a lot. No pressure, no real team driving. My second trainer was not as good. He didn’t really pressure me but he made it known he was wanting sex. I was afraid to say no. Even made it seem like I was okay with it. Anything to get it over with. I finished training and eventually left 3 months later for an unrelated event. I later tried Werner and the trainers were male but didn’t do anything sexual. They ran me like a team. But that was more dispatch then the trainers. I left without finishing my training and am back with them, this time with a female trainer. Because I had the previous experience I was unable to go with the “better” companies because I didn’t have a year experience. That I feel like is the problem. Forcing people to go with lesser companies because they don’t have a year or fresh out of school.

• Hi Treida,

This is a common story. Something happening in training that causes you to leave, you have to start from scratch and stay in the “training wheels” category of company. Sometimes having to pay for more tuition costs or refresher course costs. It seems like the system is set up to keep you at trainer carrier pay and “your just a number” type treatment. I am glad you posted and hope that you are able to get your full year of experience. Students entering trucking need to know who they are making a commitment to because leaving before you have enough experience, not training time, real OTR time makes you unhireable elsewhere. You have to start all over. Places like CR England where students generally have a decent 1st trainer but frequently a terrible 2nd trainer for whatever reason are all too common complaints. It wastes your time and money and they really don’t care because there are thousands more behind you that will sign onto their Dog and Pony show. I wish you good Luck! Desiree

• Annalisa says:

Hi am a student who will be getting my cdl soon. I have been doing research and reading about what other drivers are saying about waiting for loads or not being able to get a response for picking up another load. (Sorry dont know exactly how this works) if you have dropped off a load and have to wait for another load to return should that load already be scheduled thru your company? I know there will be times when I’ll be waiting for a warehouse or what for pickup or unload. But shouldn’t a dispatch know ahead of time where trucks are ready for loading and unloading. I guess larger or certain carriers might have a problem with keeping drivers busy or en route.

• Hi Annalisa,

This is such a good question I posted it on our Facebook page for other drivers to respond to. Here si the link REAL Women Truckers on Facebook. It is obvious that if you are only getting paid when the wheels are turning that you would not want to waste time being at work when you are not being paid, especially when you live in your workplace as long haul truckers do. The nature of the job though requires waiting, unpaid time waiting and unpaid labor that kills your drive time where you could be paid. In a perfect world your dispatcher does have a load ready for you to pick up when you deliver the load you are on but this is not the rule. It is not anything you can count on. There are many variables and one is that freight movement has seasons where it is slow. You must be able to roll with the flow or you will be incredibly unhappy as a trucker. I encourage you to check out the Facebook responses from other drivers to hear their real world experiences for this question.
        Thanks for the comment.

Desiree

• Carri says:

Great article.

• Peggy says:

Desiree,

I loved your article and it hits the nail on the head. I have done the training with CR England (2000), Swift (2004), and Central Refrigerated (2013). I was very lucky at both CRE and Swift as my dad was my trainer (now retried with 60+ years experience). Again I was blessed to have a good trainer at Central, and he kept things professional and asked me regularly if I was ok and comfortable. Whereas while I was in “school”, I had a couple of room mates who did complain that they did have “trainers” who did want sexual favors from them.

Currently, I am a “trainer/mentor” at Central. Although, Central is going through some pains with the merger with Swift within the last year, hopefully, Central’s rep will get better.

Doing research on companies should be not taken with a grain of salt. I feel aspiring drivers need to not only do research via the net and your broadcast but also (if possible) talk to actual drivers for the company who have been with the company for 6 months or more to get the “dirt”.

Just my two cents.

• Great Advice, Thanks for the comment. 🙂 Desiree

• Just D says:

I think that more emphasis needs to be made on the “LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE compared to hours actually worked” I’ve read in numerous places that the “average” over the road (otr) salary is roughly $30,000 per year. Sounds decent? Well, after one calculates ALL the hours worked, it breaks down to about SIX DOLLARS per hour. An otr driver basically has to GIVE UP their relationship, family, basically their LIFE for 2-4 weeks at a time (or more) and go from being a part of their family’s lives to JUST A VISITOR. It’s not hard to understand why the turnover rate is 128% and the divorce rate amongst otr truckers is in the high 90’s. It’s not just a job, it’s a LIFESTYLE and a tough one at that. It’s NOT for everyone and has certainly NEVER been for ME.

The ONLY time my husband EVER made decent money was in local driving, either getting paid by the trip, or by the hour for all hours worked. But unfortunately he’s has too many years worth of otr stints too, and my income only provided what he lacked, not extra income (which we needed.) After many years of him going back and forth between local and otr and my losing my decent job due to the company going out of business and after the local company he worked at for several years went out of business he found the 1st job he could find, which was over the road, of course. And which he (we) are currently having to do right now. It didn’t take long to be FORCED into LIVING in the truck for the past 3 years. His average pay for actual hours worked last year was about $7.00 an hour and $6.00 an hour the year before.

Although we may still be “together” we have NO relationship. It has basically ruined my marriage, caused him to miss most of our children’s childhood, caused me to feel like a single parent (which I pretty much WAS) caused lots of evictions, vehicle repossessions, loss of personal items to pawn shops, and totally destroyed both of our credit. Did I mention destroying our relationship too? When two people continually grow APART they GROW APART. His “visits” while doing his otr thing were pretty much a day and a half to two days to catch up on paperwork, rest, play on the computer, etc. No quality time, no quantity time, he was too tired to do anything.

He was focused and driven to be a good provider. But being a “provider” isn’t all about money, it’s also about “providing” love, attention, support, inspiration, compassion and guidance.
      It’s about PRESENCE, not presents. Unfortunately his over the road driving career (16 of the 23 years) provided neither.

I have a lot of bitterness, anger, and resentment. I regret him ever getting into this occupation and LEAVING his life and family for the trucking lifestyle. Over the years I’ve tried to get him to DO THE MATH (as I did very, very early on) but in the beginning it was all new and exciting and fun for him. He never even looked at his paycheck. I was the one to go pick it up each week and kept trying to tell him “IT’S NOT WORTH IT! I think diesel fluid runs through his veins and he didn’t/doesn’t seem to want to open his eyes to how things REALLY are. He busts his ass. He SHOULD be making a good living, right?

He is a very experienced driver (23 years) with an excellent driving history. He works very hard, I know that. Most definitely too hard for the little pay he receives in return.

I just wish those who train people to get their cdl’s would inform them (and the people who are left behind rooting for the new driver) how things REALLY are, but then again those schools, companies, etc. are raking in the dough and probably laughing all the way to the bank.

128% turnover rate, High 90’s % divorce rate, less than minimum wage pay, but listen to or read any advertisement for trucking and they seem to romanticize the lifestyle. I personally see nothing romantic about sitting behind the wheel (or in the passenger seat in my case) for about 98 hours a week, having constant back pain, leg pain, hip pain (and also swollen feet and ankles in my case,) getting zero exercise, having to pee in a jug (or bucket) while rolling because you can’t afford to take the time to stop, (especially after having to sit for 3 – 5 or more hours getting loaded. There’s a deadline ((and you just lost those hours sitting at the customer)) you CANNOT STOP), having to park in truck stops that could very well be called ski slopes. (No, there are no levelers on the bunks. Whatever angle you have to park at is the angle you have to TRY to sleep at, the cab facing downward and sideways so that you literally almost roll out of it is the most fun – great on the back and hips too). Eating mostly fast food or junk food because you don’t have time to stop and get healthy food or simply cannot afford healthy food. (Athough every few days you may be able to find time to stop at an expensive all you can eat truck stop buffet and overeat because by then you haven’t had anything but snacks for several days and are dizzy from hunger for something that resembles real food, which some places DO HAVE).

After about 2 weeks all the highways, trees, and loading docks pretty much look the same. There are a LOT of trucks on the road and I’m sure to many the lifestyle may be worth it. But in the 3 years I’ve now spent in a truck I’ve never seen anything romantic (or enjoyable) or worth it, about it. In my case there is no QUALITY of life – It’s barely an existence. And the drivers I’ve run into all seem to have the same complaints. No money and can’t get home are the top 2.

I haven’t seen any load or any job yet that I’d give up my marriage, my family, my health, and my life for, especially at a lousy $6, $7, $9 an hour, etc.

McDonald’s workers are wanting a pay increase to $15 hr because workers cannot afford to support a family on minimum wage.

Maybe if enough hard working, low paid drivers all get together and raise enough hell things may change for them in the near future.

They (and their families) have to GIVE UP and LOSE A LOT, to get VERY LITTLE in return.

Nothing CHANGES if NOTHING changes!

• Sharon says:

I would like to make others aware of Schools or Colleges that offer Internships for the transport Industries. I just went through one and it was a horrible experience. I did find a job and found there are some company’s that have their own training school program, look for the ones that are TTSAO certification, Ontario Canada.

• nicole says:

23 yrId female I got my cdl on my own without school training a year ago. I have only driven for a local company for a month.Does anyone knowwhat is the best way to get a job driving?

• Charles Scott says:

Wow!
      I am so glad I took the time to go thru these comments forms all the women on the road and getting ready to get out there. What an eye opener. My wife and I have been in retail management ( different companies) for 18 years each . We want to work together and see the country, earn a decent living , and retire in 20 years or so. We are planning which cdl school to utilize, from where we will dispatch out of , and trying desperately to decide who to drive for. We feel that Knight Transportation, Mesilla Valley transportation or Stevens Transportation would be best for husband and wife teams. Any advice to whom we should choose?

• Thanks for the comment and I am glad you found the content helpful. I hope you will check out those three choices over on the truckers report before you make a final choice. I personally would choose Mesilla Valley Transfer first, and either Knight or Stevens next choice. I prefer the trucks a Knight because they are bigger inside and for living space that helps. With regards to the training I have heard pretty good reviews on all three but as a rule please double check reviews at the truckers report and look for current remarks or at least past 12 months. Good Luck! Desiree